Monday, September 18, 2017

‘Everyone Should Be Able To Do What They Love…And Now I Do!’ - Jane Clappison; The Make Up Academy

Jane Clappison is a pro in every sense of the word! A professional make-up artist who has been working in the industry for the past fifteen years, in areas such as film and television, to make up counters and college – She has now turned her hand to another area of the industry and started her own training centre; The Make Up Academy.

Jane Clappison - Founder of The Make Up Academy
Prior to starting her own business, Jane’s most recent job was teaching as a make-up lecturer at a further education college, but found herself losing the love she once had for the job; ‘I love teaching and I love make up, but I had taught for over 12 years and it had changed dramatically in that time and not for the better.’

She always had a dream of starting her own academy, but it wasn’t until last year that she decided to go for it;

And it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.’

The Make Up Academy
We all know starting a business can be terrifying, and Jane certainly felt apprehension towards the leap she was about to make, but getting in touch with our team at The Women’s Organisation was the first step that Jane took in her journey…

‘I got in touch with The Women’s Organisation online and they got in touch the very next day. They set me up a meeting with Huda, who became my Business Adviser. I don’t think I could have made my dream a reality without her help and support, and it certainly wouldn’t have happened as quickly!’

‘At the beginning, I was nervous, excited, scared and doubtful…But determined!’

And determined Jane would have to be, because a big change was happening in her life. As she had given up her job, she faced a barrier of financial insecurity to overcome; ‘I had given up a full-time job where I’d been used to receiving a steady income for the past 12 years, so to go from that to nothing was difficult, worrying and stressful! But thankfully I had some financial support from my family, which I am extremely lucky and grateful to have.’

The practicalities of running a business where the next barrier that Jane faced, but with the support of Huda, she found this easy to navigate! As a new entrepreneur who hadn’t run a business before, everything was new to Jane and the support she had from Huda was crucial.

‘Huda went through the various steps that I would need to take to legally register my business, and helped me look at tax, insurance, cashflow and health and safety. She helped put it into an order that felt achievable and not like an unknown mountain of work!’

Some of Jane's handiwork! 
The Make Up Academy launched in October 2016 and has its home in the heart of Liverpool City Centre on Old Hall Street and it is a beautiful space! Here Jane runs Level 2 and Level 3 make up courses, both of which are fully accredited by the Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT).

She says; ‘So far things are going really well! I’m still only in my first year, but I’ve had some amazing students who are now working in the industry and that’s just the best and most satisfying feeling!’

And she can now begin to reap the benefits of being self-employed which is fantastic for her and suits her lifestyle; ‘The best thing about running my own business is being in complete control of it, doing it the way I want to do it and not being tied to the daily grind of 9 to 5. I feel a lot more in control of my work/life balance now.’

Starting her own business has been a massive learning curve for Jane and she has had to overcome many barriers, but she has faced them all head on. Jane told us; ‘I’m not the most confident of people, so to do this has been quite a challenge and stressful at times, but I’ve had the most amazing support from my family and friends, and I really believe in what I’m doing.’

‘Huda and The Women’s Organisation have been brilliant, Huda was so supportive but also firm!’

Jane in action! 
‘Now…It’s all about moving forward with The Make Up Academy! I genuinely want my students to have the best experience at my academy, to learn the skills they need to break into the industry and have a successful and fulfilling career…’

And she gave us some great words of wisdom that we think anyone can take away with them…

‘It’s not just about running a business. This is a passion of mine. Everyone should be able to do what they love, and now I do!’

If you'd like to find out more about The Make Up Academy, you can do so by getting in touch using the contact details below!

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Email - info@themakeupacademyltd.com

AND - If you've been inspired by Jane's story and would like our support to turn your business dream into a reality - get in touch! Email us on hello@thewo.org.uk or ring 0151 706 8111

No comments:

Post a Comment